A Cheaper, Better, Faster, Greener Freight Transportation System
The LF will begin providing major benefits in all of these areas within 2-3 years.
- The LF will utilize rail to move a large volume of freight across the western U.S.; rail uses approximately one-third the amount of fuel per ton of freight as trucks.
- The LF will make a significant reduction in carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxide and particulates; it will reduce diesel emissions in and around urban areas.
- The LF will save states and taxpayers tens of billions of dollars in Interstate reconstruction and maintenance costs by reducing truck VMTs and pavement wear; these
savings could be invested in other parts of states' transportation networks.
- The LF will make Interstates safer by separating a meaningful percentage of trucks and cars; this will save tens of thousands of lives over 10-20 years by reducing
truck-passenger car interactions and crashes.
- The LF will eliminate several thousand truck trips from I-10, I-40, I-80 per day reducing Interstate congestion and emissions around western and Midwestern metropolitan
- The LF will save truckers time and money; the cost of using the LF will be cheaper and faster than driving 1,000 - 1,500 miles across these east-west Interstate corridors.
The LF is a private sector initiatives that provides tremendous public benefits with little or no public expenditure.